Monday, March 8, 2010

Jack and Grandma

Jack has been having a hard time, I don't know if it's middle child syndrome or what. He just has a breakdown on a daily basis. His Primary teacher doesn't know what to do with him. At school he has a behavior sheet sent home each day on his folder that has either a sticker to indicate a good day or a note to indicate something less than a good day. Usually his sheet is covered in stickers by the end of the six weeks, but the last one was riddled with notes. They usually say what he was doing that was wrong like 'talking to much' or 'not following directions.' I knew he was having trouble last week when his note said simply 'I'll call you'. His teacher explained to me how his behavior has changed and she wanted us to know that she's doing all she can to help him. Well, one of the things he says regularly when he's having a fit is "I want Grandma" or "fine, then I'll go live at Grandma's." One time he was arguing with Christopher over something trivial and he finally got so mad he proclaimed his intention of walking to Grandma's to which Christopher replied "have a nice trip." Jack pondered for a moment then said calmly "Dad, I need a map and my emergency backpack." I laughed so hard at his sincerity. So I finally broke down and called Mom and begged her to come stay for a few days and give Jack whatever extra love it is that he is needing. She was all too willing, she showed up on Thursday and stayed through Sunday. We had a wonderful visit, Jack took Grandma to the park to feed the ducks, they went to Walmart together, she sat by him at meals, she cuddled him while he watched to TV, she sang to him at bedtime. I guess sometimes a boy just needs his Grandma!

2 comments:

  1. Your lucky to live close enough to Mom and Dad that she can just come up for a visit whenever you want her to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jack! He's such a fun boy. You are an amazing mom.

    ReplyDelete